I absolutely love experimenting in the kitchen so I decided to make a hair mask!
My hair has been natural for nearly 4 years and one of the issues I always have is dryness! My scalp isn’t dry but my hair just feels so dry whenever I touch it, in the past I would drench it with product then have to wash it frequently because of the build up etc. After researching on YouTube lol, I finally decided to make a moisturising and strengthening hair mask.
For this mask I used an avocado (in hindsight I should have used half as my hair is not that long)an egg yolk, extra virgin olive oil and mayonnaise. I used a table spoon of the oil and an equal amount of the mayonnaise. I mixed the ingredients in the blender, my blender isn’t that great so the mixture was lumpy but I was able to work with it. I smoothed the mixture into my hair coating it completely which left it feeling a bit heavy. I kept in on for 4 hours then rinsed it out.
Honestly, after I had rinsed the mask out, shampooed and conditioned as normal my hair did NOT feel smooth as per what my trusted YouTubers led me to expect. It literally felt the same, however after a few days I noticed that my hair felt a lot stronger and I had hardly any shedding. Unfortunately I didn’t take any pictures – I forgot lol.
So I would recommend this to anyone who would like to strengthen their hair also let me know if your hair felt smooth after rinsing it out. You can also use this mask after you remove facial hair and it will give you a soothing effect. My hair was straight but not as soft as I expected, Maybe I didn’t put enough extra virgin olive oil… x
James 2:16 – and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that?
How many of us have been guilty of doing the above? It’s so easy to brush past our friends or families needs because we’re busy, however most times its due to the fact that we’re not sensitive enough to realise their needs. Over the past few days I’ve been praying to God to help me to be a blessing to someone even though things are a bit for me I trust that God will provide for me. Even if he doesn’t I’ll manage. I can hear many of you saying well I do help out financially but they never pay back or I give my time but they never appreciate it. I know how that feels, but do it anyway out of love – God sees your heart.
I’ve read over the above scripture so many times in the past but I never really paid it much mind. Today I was thinking about one of the lessons I taught in Sunday school where I was asking the kids different ways they could be a blessing to their parents and siblings when they got home that day. Of course with much excitement all of their little hands flew up and they began telling me…’ I can help to wash the dishes….I can be kind and helpful…I wont fight my brother…’ It got me thinking and I was encouraged that if we continue to bring up our children in this way then they will be sensitive to the needs of their brothers and sisters. Lending a hand out of love not obligation, giving their time or money out of love not because of the recognition they can get from it.
So, I encourage you to lend a hand today out of love x
The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision – Helen Keller
This book details an amazing testimony which led to a passion being birthed and a desire to make a difference in this world.
For 6 months Biyi Adewumi experienced total blindness. She describes the ordeal as ‘when the cloud hit’ as all she could see was ‘clouds’. She was suffering from a rare condition called Hydrops. A mother of two and wife to an assistant Pastor, you can just imagine the strain and confusion this caused in their busy household. The author goes into much detail about the roller coaster of emotions she faced from anger to resentment towards God and the people all around her to confusion, sadness and short lived moments of hope that surgery could turn help her see again.
Reading through this book I felt so encouraged, I honestly don’t know what I would have done in her situation. She literally had to relearn how to work with God and be comforted by the fact that God was in full control . Thankfully God placed strong friends and family around her who were constantly praying for her. Sometimes I feel that it takes everything being taken away from us for us to really put all our trust in Jesus. Who was to say whether her sight would ever be restored, but God being God He was faithful enough to not only restore her sight but He also blessed her with a vision that will affect thousands of lives for the better. In the book she tells us of the covenant she made with God that if he restored her sight that she would write a book, 12 months to the day that she lost her sight she released her book! I attended the Launch and to date it was the best I’ve been to!
Out of this ordeal her purpose was revealed and ultimately her Victory in Christ is been shared with the whole world. Precious Sights Foundation was birthed to help children in Africa with treatable eye conditions to prevent them from going blind. Affording them the opportunity to go to school, work and provide an income for their families. Please check out the foundation and donate.
To those of you currently facing darkness, be encouraged. Some nights may be longer than others, but believe me when I say your morning is coming! God is working something out for your good x
Beyonce is killing it with these Ankara print designs. I love the boldness of the colours, designs and the patterns. It’s always nice to see celebrities embracing different trends especially in the summer. Dare to be bold and fierce!
Kelly looks amazing in TW Steel Campaign. Pregnancy looks good on her, she looks breath taking in these pictures. Slay!!
I always get asked how I keep my hair/scalp moisturised while its in braids or in a weave, so I’ll share a few basic things that I use. I honestly don’t do a lot, I find that the less I do the better for my styles. The thing I would say is that you should concentrate on keeping your scalp moisturised to avoid a flaky scalp and dandruff.
- First get yourself a leave in spray. My go to leave in spray is by African pride, I really like it as it is light weight, very moisturising and has a lovely smell to it. Initially when I first get my hair done I spray my hair maybe once or twice a week. As the braids get older I spray my hair more often as the hair is beginning to dry out, paying particular attention to my scalp.
- Further to using a braid spray you can create your own spray. I just use an old spray bottle and fill it with water, extra virgin olive oil, tea tree oil and a few drops of lavender or peppermint oil to make it smell nice. I personally prefer to make my own sprays because I know that the oils I put in the spray will help to keep my scalp well moisturised. Before doing this I used to get a really flaky dry scalp particularly at the front of my head. Oils and water are great moisturisers and sealer’s for afro-Caribbean hair and can be sprayed onto the hair daily.
- Lastly, what I do to keep my braids/weave moisturised is applying my favourite oils directly to my scalp and massaging it into my hair. This process I don’t do too often, once or twice a week depending on how dry I feel my hair is. Its important to not do this too often as the oils can weigh down your hair and cause build up on your scalp making it look dirty. If you’re unsure of what oils to use, check out root2tip.com. I personally use the scalp hydration serum when I have my braids or weave in as it does what it says on the bottle. It also has a nozzle tip which makes it easier to get in between the braids/cornrows.
Simple steps to keeping your scalp/hair moisturised and please do try them out x
The sun is shining and the weather is oh so sweet! I’ve just applied my favourite lipstick and my lips have that cracked effect! Panic sets in, what on Earth has happened to my lips. After a bit of research I picked up a few inexpensive lip products that have left me feeling summer time ready. I’ve listed them below, hopefully they help you out too if you feel your lips are in need of boost.
First things first, I found that a good lip scrub is a must. This will help remove the build up of dead skins cells from your lips, leaving behind soft smooth supple lips.
- Lush have some amazing tasting lip scrubs made with all natural ingredients. You simply rub a bit of the scrub on your lip with a clean finger, which buffs away the dead skin cells then lick off the excess. Or if you chose you can use a wet wipe to remove the excess, either way you’re left with soft lips! They are very affordable and last quite a while.
- If you prefer not to use your finger you can get the lipscuff from body shop. It does exactly the same thing as the lip scrub from lush, but is in stick form in a retractable tube. You simply apply the lipscuff to your lips, rub your lips together and wipe the excess off with a wet wipe or tissue and voila! It is however slightly more expensive than the lush lip scrubs.
Once this process has been done you can follow up with a lip balm of your choice. My new favourite is the EOS lip balm its all natural and does the job! It also tastes and smells amazing. This product is widely available online and costs just under £6! Bargain!
Another favourite of mine is the born lippy lip balm by body shop. There’s a trend happening here lol. Again, this lip balm smells and tastes great, gives a lovely shine and lasts on your lips! All for just £2.
And thats that! A few of my favourites for smooth kissable lips x